- 1 shallot
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup finely sliced asparagus – optional
- 7 oz spinach, well washed, and chopped
- squeeze of lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- Place the shallot and garlic on a cutting board, sprinkle with the salt, and chop/mash everything into a paste.
- Heat the oil in your largest skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mustard and cumin seeds, cover with a lid, and let them toast a bit.
- Remove the lid, stir in the red pepper flakes and let cook for a minute.
- Stir in the asparagus if you’re using it, let cook roughly another minute, then stir in the garlic-shallot paste and all of the spinach.
- Keep stirring until the spinach starts collapsing a bit, and brightens up – barely any time at all – perhaps a minute.
- Finish with a bit of fresh lemon juice and the coconut.