- 3/4 cup butter (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted coconut niblets
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl using electric mixer or by hand.
- Gradually add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Do not over beat.
- Beat egg and vanilla into the butter mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the toasted coconut to make coconut mixture.
- Combine butter and coconut mixture by kneading with hands until mixture is moistened and holds together.
- Chill in refrigerator for about 20 to 30 minutes until firm.
- On a lightly floured boll roll portions of dough, cut to 1/8-inch thickness and cut out with floured cookie cutters or cut into rounds.
- Bake on non-greased cookie sheets at 350°F or 177°C for 10 to 14 minutes, or until edges are browned and cookies are done.
- Loosen with a spatula right away then let cookies cool in pans.
- Makes about 60 cookies.