- 1 cup flake coconut
- 2 cups, unsweetened apple sauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/2 cup flake coconut
- 9-inch pie shell, baked
- Preheat oven 350°F or 177° C
- Combine 1 cup of flake coconut applesauce, sugar, lemon juice and rind, and egg yolks.
- Place in double boiler and cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Cool and pour into pie shell. Top with meringue made with folding sugar into egg whites. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup flake coconut
- Bake in oven, 12 to 15 minutes or until delicate brown.