- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon, salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk, scalded *
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flake coconut
- 9-inch pie pan, buttered
- Preheat oven at 375°F or 190° C
- Combine eggs, sugar and salt. Add milk gradually, then vanilla and flake coconut; mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a buttered 9-inch pie pan.
- Set in a shallow baking pan of hot water and bake in oven for 45 minutes or until custard is set.
- Remove pan carefully from water bath and cool.
- Meanwhile, roll pastry dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Fit in another 9-inch pie pan. Trim edge and flute with fingers. Prick pastry with fork.
- Bake in hot oven (450°F) for 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly browned and cool.
- To place custard in pie shell, loosen custard from sides of pan with knife or spatula; tilt and shake pan gently to completely loosen.
- Using both hands, hold pan of custard just above and close to the far edge of the cold baked pie shell.
- Shake gently. As custard starts to slip, pull pan back until custard settles into pie shell.
- Tip pie until custard fits