- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flake coconut
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Mix well, then slowly whisk in milk and egg yolks.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir butter and vanilla extract into mixture.
- Add flake coconut
- Flakes and mix thoroughly.
- Pour immediately into pie shell.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish with whipped cream if desired.